Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Progress Derailed

The socks I nicknamed "Take the A Train," should have been nicknamed Derailed, if not Train Wreck. Or maybe I should call them Goldilocks, because one is too long and the other too short and I am still seeking "just right."

I have analyzed the difficulty I have had with this pattern and the answer is:  the triumph of wishful thinking over the evidence of my senses.  I won't go so far as to say this a life problem, but it surely is a craft problem.

I can't bear to take a picture of these two deformities, so I'm including photo of an autumnal project that did work out.  Thankfully, no one has to wear a flower arrangement.


I worked on one sock to the all but the toe graft point and found it long enough for one foot plus another smaller foot.   I left it be, went back to the other, tore back a few dozen rows and, after what I thought was careful calculation, shortened it by deleting some repeats in the middle of the foot.  I knit along, again to the all but the toe graft point, and this time it barely covered the toe cleavage.  Tore back again to add a few more rows before the toe decreases.

What I have learned (in addition to the wishful thinking bit):  not all sock patterns are suitable for all foot shapes.  I will pay more attention in the future.

For now, I just want to get them off the needles and onto the feet and move along to something else.

I hope everyone else is making fine progress this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment