Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Vegan WIP

Sounds like some kind of dairy-free dessert topping, doesn't it? But no, it's the mitts I am knitting for the vegan niece. She started out as just a dietary vegan, and now it is full-bore veganism.  She's given away her UGG boots and is wearing pleather shoes. I fear the alpaca infinity scarf is on the way to another home as well.

While there are many lovely plant-based yarns for summer, the winter yarns all seem to be spun petrochemicals.

These mitts are being knit with Vanna's Choice (100% acrylic). I think you'll be seeing the finished mitts on Friday. The pattern is Susan Lawrence's Ragtop, a great basic winter mitt.  It has an extra long ribbing section at the top which can be folded back or left long for a bit of extra warmth, and a roomy thumb.



The color is a much darker color in real life, but these days I take what I can get for natural light. Today is the first sun we've seen in a while.

I haven't much recent experience with synthetics, although I still have some of the afghans I crocheted back in the day. I have single skeins of Berroco Comfort (50% Nylon, 50% acrylic) and of Caron Simply Soft (100%a acrylic)to try. If anyone has any opinions on these or any other non-animal fiber yarns that are suitable for cold weather gear, I'd love to hear them. 

Visit Tami's Amis to see a lot more progress.

3 comments:

  1. I love Comfort. I have used DK and Worsted. The worsted feels a little chunky to me, but then they also have chunky, so who knows. But I love the DK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was once a vegan, and I look back on it in astonishment .... I wouldn't wear natural wool or alpaca (which doesn't hurt the animal) but I'd put some horribly chemical-ly manmade substance by my skin?! Anyway, it's good of you to keep her feelings in mind.

    ReplyDelete