Thursday, December 5, 2013

Pantone Pandemonium

Pantone's 2014 color pick is Radiant Orchid.






I keep wanting to hate this color, but the more I look at it the more I like it, especially when I tell myself it is not really the color of candy eggs or the dreadful corsage orchids I remember from way back when. It remains to be seen whether or not the cosmetics mavens at Sephora are right: looks great with all skin tones.

Today I stoppped in at a small exhibition of 20th century art at the Boston Athaneum and was taken by this painting by Polly Thayer, "Shopping for Furs."



Those stripes look a lot like Radiant Orchid, don't they? And I love the jaded and exhausted look on this woman's face. That's how I look after I've been shopping for almost anything.

I predict we'll be seeing a lot of knitting and crocheting using this color as an accent with neutrals, like the palette of this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment